Tuesday, December 18, 2007

My Road to Strobism

Ok, so I have recently had a revelation... its a little later than it should be, but late is better than never. The basic revelation is this, "Good photos are not created by the gear, but by the photographer."

My Back-Story
Ok, so I've known this for a while. For instance, every time I take a great picture and people compliment my camera instead of my ability to take pictures... now I can see where people are coming from, but seriously, give me some credit. There is a huge marketing push right now to convince us that if we only buy this really expensive camera, then POOF, you'll take amazing pictures. As I type this, I know that it sounds silly, but I fell into the same trap when I first got into "stills." I came from video, I knew all about this stuff and photography should be easier because its not even a moving picture... any way, when I opened my first SLR, I was shocked to find that I sucked at photography until I spent the time to research and learn all kinds of new things. Its funny to me now, but I was amazed that I didn't magically know how to use my new camera. Well, through hard work, podcasts, tutorials, and failed experiments, I now know how to use my camera.

Quality

I did however, fall into a little trap of thinking that I needed top quality equipment to do this... which is partially true. I'm a big fan of buying the best, because cheaping out is usually more expensive in the long run. When I cheap out, I usually end up buying the best later anyway, which now costs me more since I paid for the best and a cheap piece of crap... but, expensive equipment doesn't trump knowledge and experience. Its difficult to get the notches on your belt without being heavily funded by a rich uncle dieing or something... well, I don't come from old money, so that leaves me in a bit of a tough spot.

I'm on the road to Strobism!
Photography is the manipulation and capture of light. The basic concept of a Strobist is that you can get light cheaper and its still light. What does this mean? Well, a while ago I bought a Canon Speedlite 430ex Flash. The guy at the photo store convinced me that the 430 and the 580 where the gold standard of flashes. After carefully (and with very little knowledge) judging between the features of the two, I decided that I didn't need the 580. I was happy that I only spent $250.


Now fast forward to a few weeks ago. I was talking to Justin about Composition Vs. Light and which is more important in taking a picture. We both had been heavily composition based in our photography up to this point. As a side note: I don't think that composition can be taught, I think it can be explained and analized, (you can draw # on all day talking about the rule of thirds) but you've either got the eye or you don't. Light is different. It isn't an innate skill, its learned, studied, takes decades to master and involves math... which is kind of a turn off.

A Touch of Strobist
I had been on the Strobist site a few times to build light boxes out of cardboard and stuff. I came up with images like this.

I had also listened to a podcast interview with David Hobby, the leader of the Strobist "Movement," so I wasn't completely unfamiliar with the site, but I hadn't as of yet, dove in.

Money
Well, that conversation got me thinking about light more. I figured, that if people are going to pay me to shoot pictures, then I should know more about the other side of photography. The problem is, I don't have that kind of money. I can pick up a studio light set and some remote triggers and things and already I'm into it thousands of dollars before I even set one flash off.

Strobist and Ebay

So I started reading strobist's lighting 101. The basic concept is to take the flash off of the camera. Well, I've known that for a while, thats nothing new. Then the next concept hit me like a ton of bricks: you don't need a $300 flash to get good light. David, in his interview with LightSource, says (I'm paraphrasing), "I use manual flashes and radio triggers. As long as the laws of physics are in force, my lighting equipment will never be obsolete." He goes on to say that you can buy a flash on ebay that would work better than my Canon flash. Then you can pick up some radio triggers and your set. Any journey starts with the first step.


On my road to Strobism, I purchased a 20 year old Nikon SB-20 on Ebay for $18 plus $8 for shipping. I've ordered some Cactus V2s radio triggers from Gadget Infinity for $52 including shipping. So $78 later, I have a complete lighting system that is light years ahead of my previous $250 flash... Now I just need to run to the hardware store and pick up some duct tape and a few clamps.

Radio Vs. Proprietary Infrared

Most brand name camera flash systems work off of infrared line-of-sight systems of remote triggers. This is pretty dang limiting for a variety of reasons. In addition to that, they charge a lot of money for a inferior triggering system (Canon doesn't even put a PC sync port in their flashes!). Radio travels around corners and you can put the flash at any angle you want anywhere you want within the signal range. Plus you can use any manual flash you find on ebay. Let freedom ring... or flash.

My Next Flash

The next flash I'm going to buy after I've mastered my SB-20 is the recently re-released Vivitar 285HV. One downside to Strobists being so popular is it is very difficult to get SB-24's now on ebay for less than $100. You can now pick up a brand-spanking-new manual flash for $90! Way to go Vivitar. I love companies that read the market and give us what we want rather than force us to use what they want us to.

Radio Triggers

A little about radio triggers. This is where I've cheaped out. Gadget Ininity's Cactus V2s are cheaply made Japanese plastic. The gold standard is the Pocket Wizard plus ii. The pocket wizards are more reliable and have a farther reach than the V2s. So why did I go with the V2s? I don't have $400... well I do have $400, but my wife likes to buy food and gas. At $375 for a pair of wizards and $190 for each additional reciever, the wizards are pretty pricey. I grabbed $50 worth of V2s and can fire two strobes remotely with each additional receiver at $18. I'm not fooling myself. I will go to the pocket wizard eventually, but I'm ok with the $18 cheap-o version for right now. Besides, I've got a soldering gun, so maybe I can extend that reach a few feet more.

A New Chapter

So basically, I've opened a new chapter in my life as a photographer. I'm excited. I'll have a lot more money to play with because I'll be spending a lot less on things now... I'll keep you updated.

A Note On Cost
I had a conversation with my wife about this the other day and I feel like I need to add this note. I don't think that the cheap way is always the way to go. For instance, I think you should buy good fast quality glass. I don't think you should cheap-out on your cases either. There is nothing worse than having your expensive equipment destroyed because you didn't spend a few extra bucks on a Pelican or something. But as for lighting: Knowledge, not price, is king. Start here.

Quick Linker