Monday, November 5, 2007

Lensbaby review

The following is my review of the Lensbaby 2.0, if you don't like reading, click here to see the pictures I took with this lens the first day out with it. Or scroll to the bottom for links to buy the lenses.

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens
I recently got two new lenses. One is your basic 50mm. Other than saying that this is one sharp piece of glass and the closest to the the human eye out there, there isn't a lot to say. Being able to shorten your depth of field down so far is pretty dang cool too.

Lensbaby
I'd like to send the rest of this entry talking about my other new lens the Lensbaby 2.0. From what I've read the quality difference between 1.0 and 2.0 is significant, while the only difference between 2.0 and 3.0 is a locking feature. Since this was an experiment lens for me, I thought I'd save myself the $100 and go with the 2.0.

I've got to say that right off the bat this is a pretty frustrating experience starting to shoot with one of these. I would have continued to be frustrated if I hadn't realized that I was trying to make the lens act like a normal lens. Once I decided that this lens works differently than most other lenses, I started to have a lot of fun.

Functionality
There is no metering, iris, or any communication between the lens and the camera at all... Soooooo, this means that you're shooting on full manual mode. The aperture is changed by switching a metal disc with a different size hole. I started wide open and that seemed to work fine. You focus by compressing or extending the lens. The effect of the Lensbaby is what some call a "sweet spot." Everything outside of the "sweet spot" is blurred in various ways. This spot can be adjusted by angling the accordion body of the lens so that the sweet spot isn't dead center all the time. The manual suggests using several fingers from each hand... While this works and is slightly more stable, I prefer for some shots the speed of controlling the lens completely with my left hand. Though I enjoyed the focus speed this way, while I was trying to shoot an ant, I never actually got a focused shot of the ant. So maybe they know what they're talking about with the fingers from both hands suggestion.

In the Field
Click Here to Launch the Gallery!
At this point I was at bishop's peak on a climbing trip. While the other two guys that I was with where setting a new route, I spent most of the morning shooting the trees and climbing gear.

Later that day, we bumped into a few old friends and snapped a few more shots. Then, as the sun was setting I screwed the macro X10 filter on there and started shooting flowers in my parent's back yard. I really like the macro filter and got some poster-worthy shots here.

A little note to all those who are saying, "that's no big deal, I could do that with photoshop" while this may be true, I would suggest that a lens like this will bring the creativity out of you naturally as you shoot, rather than trying to fake it in post.

All in the all, Lensbaby is not only well worth the money, bit also a fun lens.

Click here to see the Lensbaby and accessories on Amazon and check out the 50mm lenses.

Quick Linker