Wednesday, October 31, 2007

CK's Epic's

The opening paragraph of Moby Dick well describes my reasons for the "Epic"
Call me Ishmael...Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off -- then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can. This is my substitute for pistol and ball.
Ishmael, "quietly takes to the ship" and I quietly take to my bike. Every so often I go on an "Epic." Basically consists of my motorcycle, a sleeping bag, my camera and a .357 snub nose revolver. The idea is to get out on the road and clear you head. To be as rugged and hard core as possible. I never take my iPod. I don't rent hotel rooms. One night I slept next to my bike in front of an ATM. That was my first epic, it lasted two weeks and I covered over 3,000 miles. Great thoughts and great pictures come from an "Epic." There is something about wanting to be completely alone with the wind and the road, but at the same time wanting to share that experience. This is where the camera comes in. There is something about a little bit of sacrifice and suffering that helps me take better pictures. The camera will never be able to let the viewer of the picture feel the temperature in the air dip slightly as you speed past a creek or the smell of the road change as you leave the shadows and ride into the light, but it is nevertheless a decent substitute. For some reason I alway feel like reading short stories about sailing ships on these trips. I feel some relation to those trapped in the middle of the ocean with no choice but to finish the voyage.

Now that I'm married, my epics will most likely change somewhat... for one, I'll have a traveling companion and won't be sleeping in areas that necessitate sleeping fully clothed with a holstered gun. Though, there will still be the road, the wind and the light. I think there will be the same need for the camera. Though the pictures will serve a different purpose, one of reflection rather than explanation.

Quick Linker